Saturday, June 3, 2023

End of May

I am a little sheepish about this post as I have to admit the boat has not left the dock since we have arrived in early May. But let me explain. Faye came down with something flu like with a fever so we stayed home for a good while to let her recover close to home. She has still a small cough but is nearly fully recovered.

So last week we returned to the boat with a plan to just relax and enjoy the scenery. We did consider going to Boothbay over Memorial Day weekend. However, our slip mate, Glen, arrived and asked if I wanted to go for a sail. It was a perfect sailing day and Faye was content having the boat to herself to listen to her music and do her Expert (and I mean expert) Sudoku puzzles.

Glen's boat is rather impressive as you can see.




And it sails as nicely as it looks. It turned out to be one of the five perfect sailing days a year in Maine. I am being somewhat facetious, but from my nearly thirty years of sailing that statement is not far off. A perfect sailing day is defined as warm/mild breeze, steady fresh wind about 10 to 15 knots, and minimum waves.  We beat upwind at nearly 7 knots and that is very nice for a sailboat. Glen even remarked about how perfect the conditions turned out to be. When those conditions occur you can set the sails up and lock the rudder and the boat will sail itself like on autopilot - and we did just that.









We played pickleball several times and enjoyed just being on the boat. I did some more projects including cleaning the dinghy and applying UV protection. I also cleaned the fly-bridge including polishing the plastic windows and applying waterproofing to the canvas top.

A small sailboat came by several afternoons with a most attentive deck hand.


We did have a nice stretch of weather with many beautiful mornings like this.


And I did manage to fly the drone for some shots of the marina area.

The fresh water pond we have hiked around a few times.


Looking down Robinhood Cove.

And looking back toward the marina.








And scanning through photos, this older (I refuse to say old) photo of my railroad days caught my attention. Hope it makes you smile.


So with that I will say, bring on June, and .....

Good Night and May God Bless


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. Would enjoy hearing your thoughts on the blog.