Sunday, August 12, 2018

Day 85 Fayette to Jackson Harbor Washington Island Sunday August 12, 2018



The clear sky remained another day for a glorious day the mid 70s. A great day for traveling

Note: Add your email above to receive email  of postings. Must be in "Desktop Version" to see Email sign up line. If using mobile. there is a link beneath the Home button at end of the post.  Be sure to verify confirming email - check spam if you don't get one


It was an easy run to Washington Island. About 23 miles away. We chose Jackson Harbor over the main harbor on the south side since we wanted to go to Rock Island. We will be doing that tomorrow as we will stay two days.

Jackson Harbor is small and is the left over of a fairly robust fishing town in years gone by.  There remains one boat that still fishes from here. One fellow goes out alone. The method of fishing is setting gill nets that float from top of the water and extend to the bottom.

It seems to be a hard way to make a buck - but you need to catch those whitefish (and that is the name of the actual fish that is the prize) for my dinners - thank you very much.

The gill nets



 Headed out for a couple of hours. "I'll be happy if I get a hundred pounds of fish" he told me.

 And we don't eat fish all the time here. The little lunch wagon at the end of the pier servered up a mighty good burger and for me two Chicago Dogs - like an Italian sandwich with a hot dog thrown in for good measure.

 The Admiral with her well deserved mango smoothie. I do make a mean one if I do say so myself.


 And a friendly game or two of cribbage. And to be fair, Faye beat me the two games we played several nights ago, but it was my turn tonight - and a good hand to finish with, eh?

So as the Admiral has retired to plan for revenge, I will say ........

Good Night and May God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. Would enjoy hearing your thoughts on the blog.