Sunday, July 9, 2017

Day 5 Pulpit Harbor North Haven Island

Day 5 Pulpit Harbor North Haven Island

A beautiful day. Departed Dix Island at 7:45.
It was an easy ride to Pulpit Harbor
This is a special place with much history and now a fair share of summer "cottages" mixed in with the year round population. But as one local said to me many years ago that "We ignore the uppity from away and they quickly learn that they need to fit into island life - not the other way around".

This photo is Pulpit Rock and entrance to harbor

Some of the old homes around the harbor
This is where I met Tom Watson Junior. who has a summer place here. I was in my 26 foot sailboat at the time and he was unloading things for the summer cottage from the public dock from this very large sailboat that I was admiring.  He introduced himself and asked if I like boats. I said yes and sheepishly pointed to my rather meager craft moored out in the harbor. Understanding my hesitation in admitting to owning such a small boat, he said "Nothing wrong with that - you see the same water I do don't you?" With my ego greatly recovered I replied "Yes Sir I do!" He then offered to have me go aboard the boat to look around if I wished. Any guesses on my response? Well you're right. To give you a sense of the beauty of this vessel, the handrails for the entry stairs were made of narwhal whale tusks.

Oh, you want to know who Tom Watson Junior is (I didn't at the time and he is not the golfer). So as Paul Harvey used to say " and now for the rest of the story" - he was the ex Chairman of the Board of IBM as was his father before him.


With Bob and Paula from Honey Dew we went for a nice walk on the Middle Road and returned and walked to the island store that is also located next to the island airport. As you look at the photos you will see that the term airport somewhat a stretch.
 
I always wanted to see a plane take off and today was the day. In the photo below you should  note that I am standing on the main road that is at the end of the runway.
 

 
The following shots are from the Mavic - I must say that the perspective is amazing



 
 
Good Night to all
 

Our Current Trip

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. Would enjoy hearing your thoughts on the blog.