Friday, June 1, 2018

Day 13 Croton on the Hudson to Kingston Friday June 1. 2018

Day 13 Croton on the Hudson to Kingston Friday June 1. 2018


Clouds and fog 65 Degrees to start then cleared around 1500 to mid to upper 70s nice

Note: Add your email above to receive email updates of postings. Must be in "Desktop Version" to see Email sign up line. Be sure to verify confirming email - check spam if you don't get one


First off did anyone note that I can not count? Yesterday was the second day 11. It reminds me of the Click and Clack car talk show in which they would say " Now in the third half of our show we will be talking about ........." Took me the longest time to figure out the brilliance of that comment. They where great fun to listen to.

But I know you didn't come here to read my ramblings - did you.

Who is up for more pixs today? Will I am for one.

 


Well I didn't say they would be great pixs did I. This is how the day stared by helping Rick (see photo from yesterday's post) change his serpentine belt. We look rather professional don't we?


 We left the Halfmoon marina and crossed the bay for fuel - $2.89 cents versus the last time of $3.85. Now that is difference. Sorry I only needed 100 gallons. Did I really just say that?

Ok here are some nice pixs - it was a great ride the fifty miles to Kingston.

These pbotos are in order by up the river



 Approaching and passing West Point
And for today's "I Spy" can you find a train tunnel in third photo below? Hint the train runs just a few feet above the river. And for those that may have the same question I did. "won't it flood the tracks?" the answer is what? Got it? The river is tidal still. So the rise is minimal.


 The afternoon was still trying to clear out the clouds so it was neat to see some areas cloud covered and other areas of sun showing though.



Who knows Pete Seeger? The older crowd must. The younger I trust will look it up. You don't even need to use an encyclopedia like we had to.

Well that is the sloop Clearwater that he championed and used to spearhead cleaning up of the Hudson. Thank you to Pete and many others. It was a great thrill to see it in such a beautiful location of the river.

 This is Bannerman Castle. Their website  Bannerman Castle   has much better photos and info -but it was great to see it from our own boat.
 The Newburgh I-84 bridge is shown because on our recent trips to the south over the last year we crossed this bridge several times and said "won't be long and we will traveling on the Hudson" Wow it was a thrill to think back to all the planning and hoping and wondering and realize "We did it!!"

Esopus Meadows Lighthouse website talks about the history of this beautiful lighthouse. The interesting thing I noticed on the charts is there are mud flats at and behind the lighthouse but almost immediately to the  east (outside of the river bend) the river depth drops to 55 feet.
 This is the approach to our anchorage where we stayed tonight.. The Catskills mountains are in the background - it was even more stunning in person - but trust you are still impressed like we were.

So I have reached my data limit for today so I will say "Glad the thunderstorm we have watched for the last three hours went  south of us" and

Good Night and May God Bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. Would enjoy hearing your thoughts on the blog.