Monday, June 11, 2018

Day 22 Fulton to Oswego Monday June 11, 2018

Day 22 Fulton to Oswego Monday June 11, 2018

It was mild last night - 55 degrees- still just right  for sleeping.  Cloudless - Glorious Day - Short sleeves and shorts. Today's high 77 degrees What a stretch of weather!!!

Note: Add your email above to receive email updates of postings. Must be in "Desktop Version" to see Email sign up line. If using mobile. there is a link beneath the Home button at end of the post.  Be sure to verify confirming email - check spam if you don't get one


 This morning the plan was to go to breakfast and then to the appliance store where I was sure I would find my last part for the ice maker repair - Recalling previous posts on the colossal mechanical failure - ice maker stopped working - I was able to get the ice maker to make ice again, only if I pour water into the ice tray - it will not add water on its own. Water solenoid tests bad. The little bugger is below

So off we went. Along the way we passed this well kept soldiers monument. These tributes always make me stop and count my blessings and remember that the names here are of individuals that never got old enough to experience a small fraction of what I have enjoyed - the perspective is refreshing and humbling. And we think an ice maker not working is significant?  I appreciate how the Lord reminds me of the importance of each day.

 For today's "I Spy", can you tell why I included this photo? It is taken from a bridge over the river.
 How about now? Spy it now? Yup - our floating home
Well here we are at the diner - the Foursome.
It is on the corner of an intersection - hence the name.
The reason that I wanted to include it is several fold. The first is it was good. I had eggs, sausage patty, Italian toast, and home fries. The sausage is ground sausage meat that they make into a hamburger like patty and cook - I like it - seems that it might be a NY regional thing as that was the way they served it back in Canajoharie.

The second reason is to remind me of the fellow we met yesterday who came by the boat while we were tied up along the canal wall. His name was Ron as well. As I always say "Two Rons make it right"  He was the fellow who recommended the restaurant. While we share the same name, he certainly was not as well off as I am. He was in a powered wheelchair. He lived in the nice seniors apartment tower just up the bank from us.  It was a great conversation with a fellow who had been a truck driver - but was now happy and appreciative, even while he was very limited in his activity, to have a top level apartment with a great view down the canal.

Well you ask, did you get the part? Nope - not yet. "We don't stock parts like that."  Back at the boat I figured out that Amazon will send to a post office - I think. So I ordered it to arrive in Oswego tomorrow!!. Fingers crossed. Tune in tomorrow to see the results.

So off we went. A wonderful ride on the Oswego River - that was not a dug canal. A few shots below.

 We stopped just above Lock 8 and tied again to the canal wall. It is a very nice place. We went for a walk to see the big Lake Ontario in front of us.
 We walked to Fort Ontario, a beautiful stone fort, but it is closed on Monday and Tuesday. Oh well
"Here's your sign" of one of the significant battles involving the Fort. The thing about this is if you look close you can see that the march started at Fort Stanwix - the fort we visited in Rome. You can also see why Fort Stanwix was of such importance because of the location on the carry place needed to get between the major rivers. It was fun to have seen both.
 Looking across Lake Ontario. The crossing will be forty miles so you can not see across. We are up on a ridge and thought we might see land on the other side, but more likely it was a temperature inversion.
 Close up of the lighthouse on the breakwater.
 And for the second "I Spy"of the day. can you find our boat?
 City Hall is a wonderful building

 And we dined tonight at Faye's Place. A very well run establishment where every seat has a wonderful water view. The food is always excellent and served with a smile. I left a big tip.
 As time has gone for another day, I will say

Good Night and May God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. Would enjoy hearing your thoughts on the blog.