Friday, June 29, 2018

Day 40 Sturgeon Lake to Fenelon Falls Friday June 29, 2018

Day 40 Sturgeon Lake to Fenelon Falls Friday June 29, 2018

The cloud free afternoon gave way to a cloud free night. The full moon was out that woke me as I thought it was the beginnings of dawn. Sitting up for a while I was mesmerized by the brilliant white light. The ethereal scene transfixed me as I thought of being by ourselves on this beautiful lake - and many miles from home.   The temperature was mild in the 60s. The glorious night continued into a glorious day that only grew more summer like as the sun marched time across the sky until a cool evening came to relax us.

Note: Add your email above to receive email updates of postings. Must be in "Desktop Version" to see Email sign up line. If using mobile. there is a link beneath the Home button at end of the post.  Be sure to verify confirming email - check spam if you don't get one


As you recall yesterday was suppose to be a short run to Fenelon Falls - but we stopped half way - so we traveled the other half today.

The ride was nice across the remainder of Sturgeon Lake. There is a river like approach to Fenelon Falls for several miles. On the nearby shore it was easy to see the flags set in anticipation of Canada Day on July 1.




We arrived just before lunch and ate on the boat.  We walked around town.  We first toured north of our lock wall tie-up and found this nice monument with a view to our travel path tomorrow.


There was also a nice park along the water.
Adjacent to the park was the James Wallis House museum. We almost didn't go in - but I am glad we did.











 The building turned out to be quite large and filled with a substantive number of items from the early 1800s period. It was very fascinating.

There was even a one room attached for the one room classroom. Faye decided to take her place, from the not too distant past, at the front of the class to begin my lessons for the day


 I even got " The Look" from Mrs O when I wasn't paying attention. I would have loved to have been a student in her class.
 There were all kinds of articles - and I am likely boring you with all these pictures - but I want help remembering all that we saw.

Yup that is a real birch bake canoe.

 OK to make it fun - "I Spy" an Ice cream maker - can you see it? And a pancake maker - on the stove.
 OK Can you figure this one out?
It is your standard Craftsman Radial Arm Drill Press - the early manual version.

William Jordan Jr - (Faye's maiden name) came over to Canada in the days of the settlement of the area.
 Now here is something I had no idea what it was - It seems creepy to me - read the sign. One way to keep the memories of Great Gram "alive."


 Movie- ing to more recent time here are a few interesting items

Now that's a toy chest!!

An in it was one of my most favorite toys - the work bench with pegs that you drove down with the hammer -and you turned it over and whacked them again - and turned it over.... you get the picture.


And here is a model case of "tinker toys" that was the first toy I can recall playing with. And the reason they are here is Tinker Toys was first manufactured in Fenelon Falls!!

And finally a few scenes from around a nice Main Street

Hope the worms and Ice Cream are in separate coolers.

 Our spot on the upper wall - very nice.
 The Fenelon Falls

And this shot I just had to add.
What product does it remind you of?
Faye and I decided to sit here for a while and take in the sun- a most pleasant place to just hold hands and watch the sun sink lower.

So time to say

Good Night and May God Bless


2 comments:

  1. I watch your progressive everyday.
    I have the same boat and prepping her for next year.
    I'm having the boat refitted in Alabama in Sept, any must
    have things for the boat you wish you had?
    I'm still working on the davit ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello

      Glad you are following the blog.
      The B39 is a great boat - and in proving to be just right for the Great Loop.

      If you haven't found it, on to the Bayliner Owners Club Forum https://www.baylinerownersclub.org
      Go to the Motoryacht forum - great deal of info and folks who will answer questions.

      But I will start with a few thoughts
      The water tanks leak and I had to replace mine.
      Make sure the refrigerator is working well - replace if not. An inverter has been very nice - but not cheap if you are having someone do it. Also solar panels have cut generator time substantially.
      Trust that is helpful

      Ron

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment. Would enjoy hearing your thoughts on the blog.